Tempe(h) and Tahu Bacem a javanese traditional dish, boiled with spices and palm sugar.
Indonesian people love this dish because it taste sooo good, lots of flavor, sweet and nutty. Tempe is a traditional soy product from Indonesia and has this firm and meaty texture. Vegetarian can use this tempe as a substitute for meat. It contains a lot of vitamins, fiber and like Tofu high protein. Tempe and Tofu can be fix in any dishes. You can (stir-) fried, soups (Lodeh) , stew, or even make salads. Sundanese people love to eat this with white rice, sambal (hot sauce) and vegetables (lalap).
Here is how to prepare tempeh and Tofu bacem:
– 1 Tofu
– 1 Tempe
– 3 Garlic cloves
– 5 Shallots
– 2 tsp Coriander
– Liquid Palm sugar (depends how sweet you want it)
– 2 Daun Salam (Indonesian Bay leaves)
– 1 little piece of Laos (galangal)
– 1 tsp Salt
– 1 tsp Tamarind paste
– 1 cup cooking oil
– water ( if you want coconut water)
* Cut the Tempeh into 2-inches x 2 1/2-inches pieces. And the Tofu in triangle shape. Slice the garlic and shallots.
* Put all the ingredients into a pan and pour some water and cooking oil with it.
* Cook the Tempeh and Tofu with the spices and palm sugar on high heat until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let it cool of a little bit .
* Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the Tempeh and Tofu about 5 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
* Remove from the oil and drain.
Selamat makan! Bon appetit!
On the pictures below we used 2 Tempe and 2 Tofu, ( 2 times the recipe) .