Traditional Moroccan Pancakes
A few weeks ago, two dear (Moroccan ) friends of ours brought some Beghrir.
We haven’t seen and try this pancakes before. And we were like huh, why are they thick,spongy and full of holes? Cause we are used to make (dutch) pancakes that are thin like crepes. We couldn’t resist our selfs to try these Beghrir and so we drizzled some honey on it and it was YUMM! We loved it 🙂
For these pancakes you have to use yeast. Yeast in the batter will cause the hundreds of bubbles which makes beghrir its unique texture and appearance. For Beghrir you don’t use eggs.
Also, we are used to bake a pancake on both sides, but with Beghrir you have to bake it on one side only. Another difference with the dutch pancake.
As usually we would love to have the recipe, and try to bake them ourselves. You would think, pancakes SO easy to make. But wait, with Beghrir, you need the right recipe! In order for the bubbles to form properly, the batter must be in the right consistency. So we asked our friends Khadija and Naima..and they gave us the recipe, and to make it much easier one of them also made a how-to-make-this-beghrir-step-by-step-video-tutorial for us hihi. Thanks Naimaaa! Really kind of you :D! So it can’t go wrong now. Today we tried, and it went good 🙂 its pretty easy after all.
Here is the recipe!
- 700 ml lukewarm water
- 300 gram semolina
- 130 gram flower
- 1 bag vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 0.5 bag of baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon of salt
How to make it:
- Put all the ingredients in the blender, in the same order like the above listed ingredients.
Make sure if you put the salt in the blender, you separate it with the yeast.
- Mix this together for like 2 or 3 minutes, not too long cause it still has to be liquid.
- After this, let the yeast in the batter work. Cover the blender with a kitchen towel for like 15 minutes.
- The batter should be a little bit thick and bubbly on top.
- Stir it gently to evenly distribute the bubbles
- Heat a non-stick pan over low-medium to medium heat until hot
- Pour enough batter into the pan to cover the bottom of the pan without swirling the pan!
- You’ll start seeing bubbles immediately.
- Bake them on one side only, until the surface is no longer wet.
Drizzle some Honey or Syrup..or whatever you like on top of it. Enjoy!!!